Did I mention???

Did I mention that I have a fabulous student teacher this year?  Well, if I haven't yet I am now because let me tell you she is great!  She knows all about the common core and is extremely thoughtful about all of her instruction.  This week she has been teaching all the reading and writing activities.  Here is a little peek at what our class has been doing.

On Monday, we did a little apple exploration using our 5 senses.  "My" was our focus word for the day so the students "buttered" the word on their paper as they used their senses to explore.


At the end of the day, we had to taste some apples to finish our 5 senses exploration.  We made a chart of our favorite apple.


On Tuesday, Ms. Frisbie introduced labeling.  She started by having the students sing the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" while doing the motions.  Then she had the students label her head, shoulder, knee, and toe.  (The idea of labeling the teacher originally came from Julie Lee)


Then she cut an apple and taught the students about all the different parts of an apple.  She made this chart.


The students then labeled their own apple paper, but I totally forgot to take a picture of that.  On Wednesday, the students created apple glyphs.  I think they turned out great.  :)



Today, Ms. Frisbie read the story "The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree" by Gail Gibbons.  She taught the students all about the seasons of an apple tree.  She created these large apple tree season posters.  Then the students created their own apple tree seasons on the worksheet.  These turned out great and my students kept talking about them all day long.  I call that success!!


She also taught the students this super cute song that goes to the tune of BINGO!


As the students were filling out their planners at the end of the day and writing the word "tree", they all started singing this cute little song.

I have working on updating my All About Apples Math & Literacy Activities unit.  Once I am finished, the unit will contain some of these great ideas.  :)

How are you teaching about apples this year?

3 comments

  1. So cute!! Nice to have a student teacher who knows so much!!!! I had one in Sept one year who was from Middle school science and math....it was like adding another kindergartener!!! Ugh! Love her ideas! Love that you are having a great experience with her!!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! So cute. I did the same apple poem. You can listen to it at Scholastic news this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My student teacher totally did that last year too. Lol...I am SO glad that you are loving having a student teacher and she has been wonderful. Sometimes it's just fun to have someone else in there with you!
    Hope you had a good weekend!
    xo
    Elizabeth
    Kickin' it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete